Watchtower, Torre dell'Orso
The Guardian of Roca Vecchia...
San Niceta Abbey, Melendugno
Madre Maria SS. Assunta Church, Melendugno
D'Amely Castle, Melendugno
Presentazione del Signore Church, Borgagne
Madonna del Carmine Church, Borgagne
Sciurti Hypogean olive-press, Borgagne
Torre Specchia Ruggeri, Watchtower
Abbey and Church
St. Niceta Abbey – Melendugno
The Abbey of St. Niceta is located near the cemetery of Melendugno. Central to the population, dedicated to the Patron Saint. St. Nicetas, martyr and Patron Saint of the town, was burned at the stake for his Catholic faith, for Arian King Athanaric plot. The Abbey, according to historical sources, should have been founded in 1167 by tancred and was run by the Basilian monks. However, the oldest document referring to the monastery of Niceti, 1324e licensis far is Sancti Diocesis Papal tithes, when the settlement was not dependent upon yet by the famous monastery of Saint Nicholas di Casole, at Otranto, unequivocally attested by a document of 1392 dependency. The monastic nowadays remains the Church, while the monastery is still visible a few fragments in the area.
Immacolata Church – Melendugno
Built in 1666 on the edge of the city walls and close to the door that led to San Foca. Being so peripheral and in an exposed position, you saw fit to grant it some defensive element. It was equipped with a sturdy railing, which still exists, which, although useless from a stylistic point of view, it was appropriate to offer shelter to those who, taking aim louvers practiced along the tramontana, West and South wind, had to react against the assailants. The entire wall of the West side is the altar dated 1698, embedding a remarkable blend of flowers, fruits, Angels and birds. The original canvas of Saint John the Baptist Church, holder and those of the Immaculate Virgin, Saint Lucia and Santa Marina. Later, in 1777, they erected the altar dedicated to San Donato.
Madre Maria SS. Assunta Church – Melendugno
The Church is in Mons. Durante Square, the Church dates back to the 16th century and had a nave, which at present represents the nave in a typically Latin cross plant. Inside, under the floor, there are nineteen burials. The 18th century was a period of great changes for the sacred building was widened with the current two aisles and was erected the belfry; We are located in 1696. Under the statue of the assumption the inscription reveals the date it was revised on prospectus, 1774. The Interior was enriched by a new chancel and the chapels dedicated to the Crucified, in Sacramento and in San Niceta. Inside are seeing the seventeenth century altars as one dedicated to our Lady of the Rosary, by April Petrachi who also built the wooden crucifix, the Lecce stone altarpiece depicting the last supper, part of the ancient altar and the door of the sacristy.
Church of Ss Doctors-Melendugno-
Built in 1759, is placed in via Roca and has a structure with three naves. Within the premises for the sacristy, you can visit a photo exhibition and permanent iconographic dedicated to Santi Medici.
Presentazione del Signore Church – Borgagne
This church has the 16th-century the apse. Consecrated in 1584, is complemented by a robust portal built in 1611. The property has a single nave, vaulted in 1780 and has four altars, two on each side. The Church was dedicated to the presentation of the Lord, as the Latin epigraph and the portal, which was housed in the eighteenth-century reconstruction. Zack was Orphaned in realizing the altars and the batteries in the holy water and baptismal font. Fine workmanship are the paintings that adorn the Church: our Lady immaculate and St Julian’s (1790), the Virgin of the Rosary with Saints in which shows a view of Borgagne of first half of the 17th century and the coat of arms of the country consists of two Cornucopias surmounted by three ears and three eight-pointed stars, martyrs of Otranto, Saint Anthony of Padua, St Oronzo. Also worth seeing are the three statues in coloured stone of the Redentrore and of the Archangels Michael, Raphael, and originally placed on the high altar and a wooden Tabernacle. Recent renovations have restored the ancient original colours the beautiful apse vault, the altars of the Holy souls and letters, the stoup and baptismal font.
Madonna del Carmine Church – Borgagne
Dating from 1619 is all that remains of the convent of the Carmelites, inhabited until 1625. The façade, framed by two pilasters, consists of a small window placed on axis with the only gateway on which is placed the coat of arms of the country. The Interior has a single nave, houses two altars and a central one, namely the high altar, built in 1658, featuring a Baroque decoration that welcomes the sides the statues of Saint Agatha and Saint Lucia. The apse, which seems to belong to a more mature, there is a fresco of the Virgin in which, as in the painting of the Virgin of the Rosary in the Church mother, depicts a seventeenth-century view of Borgagne.
Melendugno – hypogean olive-press
Chased to the excavations, which were in the “urban regeneration”, was made re-emergence an ancient oil mill. Found in the immediate vicinity of the Church of the Immaculate Conception. Covered by time, by debris, the old factory has been unearthed only in 2015 and now represents an artistic heritage of great value and interest.
Borgagne – hypogean olive-press
Built in 500 forms the basement of Palazzo Saeng, located in via Lecce, and placed two meters below street level. It is carved into the Rocky Bank of tufa, nature to an average height of 120 cm. You log on to after crossing a single ramp ladder, with a vaulted ceiling, totally made of masonry. On the access ramp to the left opens the floor pimp that served as a rest area for the workers. Joints within the mill, you are in the main room, at the right is the entrance to the depot. You can see the remains of the wooden press, partly superimposed on the construction of a fireplace by much more recent construction.
Castle and Watchtower
D’Amely Castle – Melendugno
The baronial Palace Of Amely, also called Castle, looks like a large polygonal Tower, built by the renowned military engineer Gian Giacomo Dell’Acaya in the second half of the 16th century, commissioned by Pompey Paladini, 7th Baron of Melendugno and Lizzanello. The stellar plant of the building found only three in the whole of Puglia. The Tower, once surrounded by a moat, it stood isolated from the medieval city walls, now probably a defensive system ineffective. 12.50 meters high with 4.5 metre walls presents a base escarpment and a facade divided by two bulls string course. Access was possible through a drawbridge protected vertically from a storm drain. With the advent of the barons Of Amely, the drawbridge was replaced by a masonry capped by a 16th-century noble ebrela sormontatadall ‘ portal of foggia: two lions adjacent and lying which support on the back a crenellated Tower. Above the coat of arms stands a statue of Mary Immaculate. Near the ski tower placed baronial jails, warehouses for foodstuff, the tower with guardiola small chapel on the ground floor that still preserves frescoes of Christ crucified and a Madonna and child
Petraroli Castle – Borgagne
Once stood at the edge of the small village of Borgagne, eastbound, in order to carry out more effectively the defensive function. The complex has a rectangular plan and a tower erected in 1498, whose date is derived from the inscription in the walls erected to protect the village. The construction work of Pandita not stopped with the building of the single Tower but continued with the entire building of the Castle. Built on a square plan with a central courtyard underwent various modifications for enlargement. Then came changes in relation to its actual use to host family. Adjacent to the Castle, the little chapel of our Lady of the Rosary.
House Torre di Via Castello-Borgagne
The “tower-houses” are sixteenth-century buildings whose main function in addition to the pension, was closely linked to the defensive function of the settlement. Among these, the most characteristic Tower House, is located in Via Conciliazione Lateran and presents small hanging arches and a column with the monograms of Christ and the Virgin.
Wacthtower – Torre Specchia Ruggeri
Delimits the municipal area of Vernole with that of Melendugno. Behind the Tower, just to the North, lies the beautiful reserve Cesine. This tower, like all those that arise out of this stretch of coast, are erected in the ‘ 500. From the square in shape, the tower was built to meet the needs of control and sighting of the Turkish boats which threatened, with their raids by sea, the towns of Salento.
Watchtower – San Foca
Also known as “Torre di San Fuca” or “Boss” SOAP was built in 1568 by master Antonio Saade of Lecce. Square base and pyramidal body and with two bays overlap. The external wall is called “shoe”, meaning sloping wall. In 1576 the Mayor of Lecce, Gaspare Maremonte donated the Tower a Falconet of 3 pounds, as Kit to the armament of the tower which, like point Lookout, communicates to the North with the South Tower Torre Specchia Ruggeri and Roca Vecchia. In recent years the Tower, as a result of the restoration work, houses the offices of the port authority.
Built in the 16th century and used to the sighting of the Turkish boats, quadrangular and pyramidal body features. The name derives, according to some hypotheses, Urso, surname of the owner of agro. According to another hypothesis, the name could be traced back to Saint Ursula. Finally, the most striking is that which gives its name to the carved figure from time on coastal rock and that looks just outline the image of a bear.
The cost rises, the cliff breaks into several coves. The largest of these is the one that houses the village of Torre Sant’Andrea. A typical village of fishermen, the entrance of which stands the lighthouse Marina, built behind the tower that gives its name to the locality.
Roca Nuova Medieval Village
Roca Nuova is a deserted medieval village. The excellent state of conservation and the recent restoration, might notice the sixteenth-century tower, the Church of San Vito and the small town that was born from the need of the population to move from the beleaguered Roca Vecchia. The King of Naples and the Bishop of Lecce encourage the movement of rocani, at the new settlement, offering small housing solutions, free of charge, to those who left the old houses. The fortress of Roca Nuova is complete then with small apartments, one and two-room apartments.
Sea stacks – Le due Sorelle
In the far south of the Bay of Torre dell’Orso, meet two stacks, close and very similar, for this reason called “the two sisters”. According to legend, the name derives from two sisters who one day decided to escape the everyday looking for refreshment in the sea. Diving off a cliff, in a stormy sea, failed more earning the shore. The gods moved by compassion, who turned in two charming faraglioni. Turning to the documented history, this stretch of sea, was the port of ancient city-Sanctuary of Roca and was critical of the sailors who reached or stopover on their way across the Adriatic.